Baldivis Kite Buggying on Vimeo

Friday 29 March 2013

Review - Customised Peter Lynn Comp XR+

Over the last couple of months my humble Peter Lynn Comp xr+ has under-gone a transformation and grown! I have previously reviewed it as a standard buggy - now for my opinion on the super-sized version...

standard Peter Lynn Comp XR+
My buggy now has the Peter Lynn 140cm gigastrong axle, longer and stronger side rails, a custom made back rest and 6 ply highway rated radial tyres on the back.

beefed!
Compared to one of my previous buggies of lust, the Sysmic S2 it is a very similar size (length and width) and has the same sought of footprint, but overall it is still a lot lighter in weight despite the modifications. The heaviest addition is the gigastrong axle as this is much thicker as well as longer.

gigastrong!
The side frame extensions have also added some extra height to the frame allowing me to lower the standard PL seat while still having a reasonable clearance under my butt! This means I sit lower between the frames and am able to wedge myself in more.

And the custom back rest and cover (made by my wife) provide that extra support which makes the overall experience much more comfortable - no more back ache after a couple of hours in the bug.


Overall these modifications, along with the new rear tyres, have made the buggy feel much more stable. I am now able to block myself against the side rails and the overall feel of the buggy enables me to hold down more power. And rather than that power translating into sideways slippage the buggy tracks forwards better - I think this has enabled me to increase my speed and also the upwind performance.

The new rear tyres are less likely to slide on the surface of the lake and this has also helped. With a slight shift of my weight I am still able to un-stick the rear end either to scrub speed or power slide - but it did take a bit of getting used to.

I am really pleased with how the buggy is handling and the comfort side of it and I am so glad now that I didn't spend a couple of grand on something else (the mods so far have cost about $400). I'm not saying in the future I wont want to upgrade but some of the other production buggies are a lot heavier than my comp xr+.










No comments:

Post a Comment